The Podcast Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here be Dragons

2 posters

Go down

Here be Dragons Empty Here be Dragons

Post  marknott Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:46 am

I've been listening to Skeptoid for a long time and I finally watched his YouTube video Here Be Dragons. It's a great introductory to critical thinking and why it's so important.
It made me think of all of the billions of dollars that are spent on stuff like Noni or Xango juices, or any other sort of unproven "medical" treatment.
It's 45 minutes, and worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=752V173e31o

marknott

Back to top Go down

Here be Dragons Empty Cool...

Post  Branden Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:50 am

I'm only about 15 minutes in, but all of the 'red flags' that he presented are things that I have found in these MLM drink companies. They always have a doctor come out on stage to endorse the product. They have a couple of people that claim the juice cured them of something, but it was more likely a coincidence. Example, a lot of people start drinking Xango or MonaVie to get in shape. At the same time they start drinking it, they also start eating more healthy and exercising. I'm guessing that their recovery from whatever is more based on healthy eating and exercise, and not the magical seeds from special fruits.

In the end, good science speaks for itself. Good science doesn't need celebrity and (supposed) doctor endorsements.

Thanks for the share.

Branden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum