The Podcast Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Fry talks about language

2 posters

Go down

Stephen Fry talks about language Empty Stephen Fry talks about language

Post  marknott Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:53 pm

This is a 1 time podcast from Apple where Stephen Fry talked at an Apple store in London about words and language.
A topic like this would generally bore me, but I was intrigued the entire time. Also very entertained.

Please note, because it's about language, there are some occasional strong words.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/special-event-stephen-frys/id473109627?i=101145816

marknott

Back to top Go down

Stephen Fry talks about language Empty Neat.

Post  Branden Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:12 pm

It reminded me of two classes I have taken... History of the English Language, and post-structrualism theory (which I was kind of talking about in the car with you guys the other day). So since I was already familiar with quite a bit of what he said, I was more interested in his little tangents. That guy has a mighty brain. I loved how he touched on certain words in other languages that English just doesn't have an equivalent for. I was reading Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck and he briefly talked about that as well. He says there's a Spanish verb, vacilar, which basically means that you are going somewhere but don't greatly care whether or not you get there, although you have direction. I sure can't think of an English word that captures that idea... so instead we just have to say "I'm going somewhere, but I don't care whether or not I get there... but I know where I'm going."

Anyway, language is crazy.

Branden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum